Introducing Scarlett Alexandra

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

It is with great joy that T & I announce our newest little love has arrived!

Scarlett Alexandra | Tuesday, March 27, 2018 | 9:40pm | 7 lbs. 11 oz. | 21.5 inches long

Looking over these photos, it's hard to believe it was just over three weeks ago now that we welcomed sweet little S into our lives! She is her own perfect little individual and doesn't look much like either one of her siblings as a newborn. She has the cutest little round face, lots of dark brown hair (especially in the back), and opened her eyes and looked right up at T pretty much the moment she was put in his arms and he started talking to her. It's safe to say she has completely stolen our hearts, and we are so in love.

We've been home for just over three weeks now, and have been doing our very best to soak up all the newborn snuggles. The boys are loving being big brothers so far, and are always on the lookout for 'baby Sca' (G's nickname for her), first thing in the morning when they get up for the day. C loves to sing her songs and hold her, while G is immediately on a hunt to find her first thing in the morning after waking up. He has the cutest little grin when he does, and will point and exclaim 'BAY-BEE' to anyone who is listening. Such a proud big brother! We are definitely still in an adjustment period over here, but we have been blessed with lots of family to help out with the boys as they find their way in their new roles as big brothers, and we are super thankful for everyone who has helped to keep us stocked up with plenty of food for all of the grumbling tummies around here! 

Speaking of grumbling is T excited to enjoy our 'celebration dinner' compliments of the hospital cafeteria the evening after S was born. And no, in case you are wondering, that is not real wine...just a little sparkling grape juice :)



Tuesday, March 27, began much the same as every other Tuesday morning late in my pregnancy.
After dropping C off at preschool, G & I made our way to my weekly Tuesday morning OB appointment at the clinic. At 39 weeks, there is no medical evidence that keeping baby inside any longer has any benefit, so my Doctor decided to strip membranes while performing my checkup to hopefully get things moving along. My little sidekick G was along for the appointment, and happy to keep me company all morning running a few errands before picking big brother C up from school a couple of hours later. After getting back home, we went for a walk around the block (Doctor's orders!), and after sharing lunch, reading stories, and getting everyone down for naps, I still didn't notice any changes, so I decided on a quick catnap while the boys were sleeping to keep my energy up for the evening ahead.

Around 4pm (approximately when the boys get up from naps), I noticed contractions with a pattern of about 15 minutes apart. As they weren't yet too uncomfortable, I didn't think too much of them, and went to work getting dinner ready. Around 5pm, I checked in with T (who had picked up an extra hospitalist shift) to let him know dinner would be ready at 5:30pm. I didn't mention anything about contractions yet as they weren't painful, and they really hadn't picked up much since I first noticed them an hour earlier.

Fast forward to dinner time around 5:30pm, and I started noticing contractions more frequently...somewhere in the every 5-7 minute range. When everyone was finished eating and the boys were begging to go downstairs to play around 6:15pm, I mentioned to T that maybe we should consider heading to the hospital instead so that I could get checked to see if baby was going to be joining us. I think he was caught a bit off guard as I really hadn't mentioned anything to him about having any contractions up until this point (and let's be honest...he's not exactly the most observant about these things). Wasting no time, he got the boys all bundled up and ready to go while I picked up dinner, and we were out the door within ten minutes and on the way to the hospital. 

Because my delivery with G went so quickly, and it was still before the boys' bedtime, T & I opted to just bring them along for the ride since a check in the OB department would likely take no longer than 10 minutes, and we weren't 100% sure if this was going to be the real deal or not. Also on our minds was that if this was going to be it, we didn't know if we would have time to wait for someone to get to our house before things got too far along to be able to safely leave our home for a drive to the hospital.

We arrived around 6:45pm, and I was quickly whisked into a room while T took the boys on a tour of the OB unit to familiarize them with where dad goes when he is helping new babies be born. After a quick check, my assumptions were confirmed when we found out I was around 5cm dilated (a change from the 2-3cm earlier that morning). We put in a quick call to Grandma S who was on hand to take the boys back home and get them all settled for bed, smothered the boys in kisses and hugs and said our good nights explaining that Mommy and Daddy were going to stay at the hospital (they were surprisingly perfectly OK with this unexpected interruption to their routine), and then T & I settled in for the impending arrival of our newest little love.

One of the most wonderful things about making it to the hospital when we did is that I unexpectedly had time to get an epidural. WooHoo! Having previously experienced childbirth both ways (I had an epidural with C, but not with G), I only had the very slightest of hesitations about having an epidural this time around after learning it would be an available option. Childbirth is no joke, and while we were expecting this babe to come quickly, I was not exactly looking forward to being in excruciating pain for the next hour or so when it was avoidable. So, after dilating to around 8cm, and entering into the 'active labor' phase with contractions every 2-3 minutes, I got an epidural at 8:30pm, and my doctor broke my water to speed things up even more. Fast forward an hour, and after a couple of pushes, baby Scarlett Alexandra was born into this world at 9:40pm, a healthy 7 lbs. 11 oz., 21.5 inches long. So in love!


Grandma J & Grandpa T meeting Baby S.

Grandpa D & Grandma S meeting Baby S.

First photo as a family of five! Such proud big brothers little S has!


Here is the final photo of the boys & I just before they took off for home before baby arrived. I had just been officially checked in to the OB unit, and was having contractions every five minutes or so. C & G were surprisingly calm about the entire situation, and after getting a tour of the unit from Dad, were content to leave with Gma S to get ready for bed while T & I stayed at the hospital awaiting baby's arrival.

The following afternoon after nap time, the boys came back to the hospital to meet their new baby sister. C was a bit hesitant at first, but G came barreling in with his usual energy and walked right over and pointed at the baby, crinkled up his little face, and exclaimed 'BAY-BEE'!! He has been absolutely the most proud big brother since day one, and is super adorable to watch interact with 'Baby-Sca' as he has taken to calling her. C has taken a more gentle approach, and immediately started singing the ABCs to his new sister ending with 'Next time I will sing with Miss Scarlett'. He loves to hold her and sit close and keep her company while she is nursing.


After spending Tuesday & Wednesday nights in the hospital, we packed up and made our way home Thursday afternoon after T finished up his morning clinic hours. S is the perfect little addition to our family, and we can't wait to see what the future has in store for her!

'She is more precious than rubies.' Proverbs 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...