Banana Walnut Bread

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Nothing smells better in the morning than 1.) freshly baking banana bread and 2.) coffee. Am I right? This is certainly true in my kitchen as I've learned when T walks in the door after his morning rounds and his immediate reaction is to ask 'What are you are baking that smells so delicious?', and 'When will it be ready?' This from a man who rarely if ever chooses to eat before mid-afternoon. When it is finally ready, of course, he reverts to a child and has me cut him a couple slices, butter them up, and serve him. Completely helpless.




Recipe adapted from food.com
I've tried many different variations of banana breads...most of which have their own little twist on what makes them great. In this version, I'd like to think the key ingredient is cinnamon. If I didn't like bananas so much (no jokes, I usually incorporate at least one, sometimes two into my daily diet), I'd probably make this recipe on a weekly basis!

BANANA WALNUT BREAD | Yield: 1 loaf or 3 mini-loaves | Total Time: 1 hr. 15 min. OR 55 min. for mini-loaves

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 C butter, softened
3/4 C sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, add softened butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir until well combined. (OK to have some butter chunks).

In a small bowl (or the same bowl if you want less dishes like me), use a fork to mash bananas. Transfer bananas to the butter mixture, stir to incorporate.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add into the large mixing bowl, and stir until just combined. If using, fold in chopped walnuts. Butter or grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan (or 3 mini-loaf pans), and pour banana mixture inside. Sprinkle top with additional chopped walnuts if using, and bake (1 hr. for 9 x 5 loaf pan // 40 min. for mini-loaves). Check for doneness, and continue baking as needed.

Cool on wire rack and serve warm. Freezes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...