Labor Day Weekend Adventures

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Can you believe it's September already?! The 'gone in the blink of an eye' theory can most definitely be applied to this summer. Labor Day, in my book, signifies the closing of the summer season...and the beginning of fall. While I'm not opposed to fall...cooler temps, cozy sweaters, colorful leaves, bonfires, and football season, summer grill outs, boat rides, and lazy days spent lounging outside by the lake are definitely a few of my favorite things that I'll miss as the warm summer months draw to a close and we welcome in the new season.


We rang in the holiday weekend with some Friday night football. Unfortunately, T was on call, and due to the inclement weather, C & I opted to listen in from home rather than cheering from the sidelines. Spencer was playing Humboldt, so for our family this was a pretty big game since T graduated and works in Spencer, and I am pretty serious about my Wildcat roots, not to mention have a brother who is playing for the Cats this fall. 


My brother T (far right) with a couple of his teammates. Humboldt won the game in a shut-out 27-0. GO CATS!

Saturday was filled with cheering for the Iowa Hawkeyes and some at-home tailgating. Our kitchen was a smorgasbord of little smokies, taco dip, brownies, and Slow Cooker Hot Italian Drip Beef sandwiches.




T mixing up some of his favorite homemade bloody marys just before kickoff. The Hawks won, beating the UNI Panthers 31-23. 1-0 Baby! Let's keep it going!


In preparation for game day, T & C had to catch up on all things football in one of C's favorite books, My Football Book.  

Sunday brought with it some flea market adventures. We ventured out to not one, but two of the local flea markets to make sure we didn't miss anything. One man's trash is another man's...trash?? 
That's how it goes right?




 There were all sorts of treasures to be had, but while we enjoyed seeing what people thought they might be able to sell (ahem...that quilt with swastikas was certainly a find), the biggest treasure we found was the delightfully delicious fresh popped kettle corn. T is now convinced he needs a kettle to add to his man cave. While this would be totally OK with me, unfortunately, we don't have the room....tear...



The look on C's face at the flea market. In complete facsination of all the treasures...


T, my brother T, and Mama J checking out some knives and pistols on display at the flea market.



Labor Day was beautiful, and we spent the day lakeside splitting time between rocking chairs on the patio, a boat ride on the lake, and a walk for some exercise. Did I mention T finally got the approval from the DNR to get an in-state fishing license?! Woot woot! You wouldn't believe the amount of trouble this was. While I'm not expecting enough fish to be caught to have a fish fry, I'm thinking maybe Papa D could give him a few pointers after what I assume was another successful fishing trip over the Canadian border last week.

How was your Labor Day weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...