Carter: 2 Weeks

Monday, June 2, 2014

How Big: Still a little peanut! Carter was 6 lb. 5 oz. when we left the hospital, but by his 4-day checkup, he had already gained 1/2 oz. At his 2-week checkup on Thursday, he was back up to his birth weight. T thought for sure he would be closer to 8 lbs, but Carter is staying right on track. He did grow a whole inch and a half by his 2 week checkup (21 inches long!), so we are all convinced he is going to be a tall little guy. T is looking forward to seeing where Carter falls on the growth charts at his 2 month checkup.

I'm 2 Weeks Old Today!

Clothing Size: Newborn. Grandma J and Great Grandma M stocked us up on a few new outfits for this super miniature stage before Carter outgrows them...likely soon based on his appetite!

Eating/Sleeping: We are currently breastfeeding. After a slow start, and a few feedings supplemented with formula the first couple of days, we are 100% breast fed at this point. Hopefully, this will continue to go well as the formula feedings made Carter fussy and uncomfortable. How often does he eat? Pretty much every chance he gets. During the day, Carter likes to eat about every 2-2.5 hours. During the night, we are striving to go three hours between feedings. This plan usually works for the first round of sleep, but then we are back to feedings every 2hrs for the remainder of the night.

Hardest Moment(s) of the first 2 weeks: The hardest thing so far (besides our new sleep schedule) is trying to get Carter to burp after feeding. When we first brought him home, he did a pretty good job of burping all on his own, but after about the first week, this has changed. He's had a few meals that were lost completely - we're not talking spit up here - this was more along the lines of an entire meal coming out the mouth and nose. Very scary for both Carter (whose eyes open wide with a look of sheer terror while choking and making gagging noises as he loses everything in his little tummy) and for T and I, who are completely helpless to make it stop and try to console him. T thinks this may be happening when Carter eats too fast, or too much. Luckily, this has only happened a handful of times, and not with every feeding. Anyone with any great burping techniques besides the pat or back rub, your suggestions are welcome!

Another thing I'm finding difficult is being stuck inside so much. The weather has been phenomenal lately (hovering around 80 degrees, sunny, and very little wind), however, Carter gets too warm for comfort at 80 degrees, so we've been chillin inside with the A/C. At some point I will have to break down and get a monitor so I can at least sit outside on the deck and get some fresh air while he naps. If only I could make up my mind about which one I want for sure... On the other hand, this means we get in some walks with Papa T when he gets home after work and the temps have cooled off a bit.

Dad & Carter.

Mom & Carter.

T just loves this stretched out neck look, and has dubbed it 'The Elliot' after one of his childhood favorite movies 'ET'. Carter's little face has started to fill out now, and I think the days of 'The Elliot' might be in the past...


 We've had many milestones since baby Carter arrived!

First bath. Carter didn't mind the part when we weren't taking pictures, but wasn't too crazy about how fast the water cooled off on the mesh sling he sits in!

First story time with Dad. We read 'All About Football'.

Bonding with Great Grandpa K.

So many wonderful Grandpa's to snuggle with!

First road trip (to the lake house). Carter LOVES all the commotion of lots of visitors to talk with, and T & I love the chance to sit down for a minute and let him be entertained by the family.

First stroller ride. Carter loves stroller rides, but we haven't been able to venture too far since it has been over 80 degrees and he gets too warm. We've been sticking to late evening walks when T gets home after it cools down a little outside and is a more comfortable temperature for baby.

First deck time with Dad. Like father like son.

First time on the dock on Memorial Day.

First time meeting T's youngest brother, Uncle T.

First time meeting mom's brother Uncle N and his girlfriend C. Here, Uncle N is giving Carter his best 'Simba' treatment.

Soon to be some of Carter's favorites. He was fascinated by C, and T & I think he may have a thing for pretty blondes. We may be in trouble!

Chilling with Uncle T by the lake.

First time practicing my throwing arm! I might be a ballplayer! 

Some firsts we didn't document with photos: Professional pictures (will hopefully get these back soon to share!), first and second doctor's visits (also got to sneak in a quick visit to Dad which is always a treat), first neighborhood party, first time out to eat (we went to Gary's on the River with Grandma and Grandpa N), first time alone with Grandma S without mom or dad around, first time meeting Grandma and Grandpa W's dog Lucy (T & I were pretty concerned about this, but made it out without any licking, barking or biting, so far so good, but we are going to continue to be very careful about baby C being around dogs until he gets bigger). We are still waiting for that first boat ride until we get a life jacket in an infant size. Had a chance to get one ordered over the weekend, so by the next time we have visitors, we might be able to get in the first boat ride!


We finally got to meet some of the neighborhood when our lovely neighbors a couple houses down threw a crawfish boil over Memorial Day weekend. This was a new experience for T & I, and we decided that crawfish look a whole lot scarier than they taste! They were overnighted from Louisiana and boiled live with some cajun seasoning just before we arrived. While they are quite a bit of trouble to actually get into, the taste is surprisingly yummy, and a lot like shrimp or lobster. I'm not sure we will be making them anytime soon, but I wouldn't hesitate to eat them again sometime at a future neighborhood party or trip down south! Also - this was C's first party!

Happy Anniversary! T & I ventured out without baby for a couple hours to celebrate our two-year anniversary on Memorial Day. 

We had a wonderful dinner then snuck in a little sunset walk before heading home to rescue Grandma and Grandpa W.

After a loooong wait, we finally got to share a glass of wine together. We had been saving this bottle of Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon to open when we moved into our new house last fall, but found out we were expecting Baby W before we had a chance to open it. While I am being cautious about enjoying too much wine while breastfeeding, if I time it right, there is no reason I can't enjoy the occasional glass of vino with T. Especially on an occasion as celebratory as our two-year anniversary! 


My anniversary gift to T. A canvas of a picture I captured on our last vacation to Florida to always remember when it was just the two of us.

I can't believe how fast the time has gone by, and how much fun we've had over the past couple of years. While there have been some significant life changes (i.e. moving to a new state, building a home, starting a new job, starting a family...and on and on and on), we feel like our relationship is stronger than ever, and wouldn't change a minute of it. Can't wait to see what new memories the next year will bring us as a family of three!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...