Strawberry Walnut Blue Cheese Salad

Monday, March 4, 2013

Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend. Mine was jam-packed with a road trip back to Iowa for a lovely bridal shower for my future sister-in-law 'H', a wonderful evening spent meeting some of her college friends involved in the upcoming wedding, and some serious hours spent shopping for wedding shoes with my very indecisive mom - love you! Also making the weekend complete was catching up with my good friend 'J', who is consistently stylish, and has an amazing wardrobe that makes me feel like I should go throw out half of my closet and start over...sigh...I sense some shopping road-trips to the city in my future! Anyways...on to the good stuff.


Today, as you know (or should if you've been following along), is another meatless Monday. After a weekend of eating out at some of the local restaurant favorites in my hometown, I think a light meatless Monday is just what the doctor ordered to get my healthy eating back on track for the week.


Gather the ingredients -  lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, strawberries, walnuts, raspberry vinaigrette. 


Put it all together on a plate. Bonus: this salad looks super fancy when plated, and is a sure way to impress your dinner guests with little to no effort to put together!


STRAWBERRY WALNUT BLUE CHEESE SALAD | Total Time: 5 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

1 box organic field greens
Strawberries, sliced
Chopped walnuts
Blue cheese crumbles (you can buy the pre-crumbled tub, or a wedge of blue cheese and crumble yourself)
Raspberry vinaigrette*

Grilled chicken, cubed
- For those of you not quite ready to tackle a fully meatless meal, grilled chicken would make an excellent addition to this salad.

*NOTE: Be sure to read the labels on the back of your salad dressing. My rule of thumb is, if one of the first five ingredients is something you can't pronounce - or contains High Fructose Corn Syrup - or you don't know what it is, find something else. Many bottles are labeled 'All Natural' or 'Organic', and do not have high amounts of dyes, additives or preservatives, making them a better choice for 'clean' eating.


DIRECTIONS:

Arrange the desired amount of lettuce on a plate, and top with sliced strawberries, crumbled blue cheese, chopped walnuts, and your desired amount of raspberry vinaigrette. Wa La! That's all!


To me, this dish feels very French, and makes me think I'd like a flute of champagne to sip while reading a book, people watching, or catching up with friends at a corner bistro on a sunny afternoon. Now if only I could find a way to get to France and test my theory!

CLICK HERE to see one of my favorite movie scenes where a single bite transports the diner to another place and time.

What dishes do you make that transport you to another place or time?

1 comment:

  1. You are too kind! Your wardrobe is just as adorbs. Regardless, you know I'm down for a shopping excursion anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...