Cheesy Corn with Red Pepper Flakes

Friday, February 8, 2013

There may not be an easier side dish that requires less time and tastes as amazing as this recipe. NO JOKE. Not to downplay, but when I came across this recipe, I didn't expect much. I had all of the ingredients on hand, so thought I'd give it a whirl since I didn't want to spend much time on a side dish for my main meal. WOW! T & I were thoroughly impressed. Not only does this dish pack in the veggies, it also has some kick to boot! Yum.Yum.Yum. Seriously. Try it.


We liked it so much that I think next time I will make a meal of it. I like to think of it as a veggie mac & cheese, without the mac, and with LOTS of healthy veggies to balance out the cheese. This recipe could easily be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled. If you do decide to make more, I would suggest cutting down on the salt, and just seasoning after cooking if you feel like you need or want more.


Step One: Gather the ingredients.


Step Two: Melt butter, saute chopped green pepper 5 minutes. Add the remaining veggies and seasonings and heat for another 5 minutes.


Step Three: Sprinkle in the cheese just before serving.


Step Four: Be amazed at how delicious this simple dish is!

Recipe adapted from Budget Savvy Diva

CHEESY CORN WITH RED PEPPER FLAKES | Yield: 2 servings | Total Time: 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

1 can (14.5oz) corn (approx. 2 C)
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
3/4 C tomato, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp butter

NOTE: I used a can of corn, but frozen or fresh corn would easily work for this recipe. You could also try adding additional veggies if there are others that you like or have on hand. Jalepenos, red bell peppers, and red or green onions would all make excellent additions.

DIRECTIONS:

Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped green peppers, and saute 5 minutes. Drain corn (if using from can), and add to skillet along with tomatoes, salt, pepper, red chili flakes. Continue heating, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Just before serving, mix in shredded cheese until melted.

This side would be excellent with any grilled meat or BBQ dish, or served on it's own as a veggie alternative to Mac & Cheese.


Do you have any favorite side dishes that don't take much time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...