Quick Homemade Dinner Rolls

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Welcome to the Holiday Trials! As a relatively young chef in terms of years spent in the kitchen, I believe when it comes to cooking for others, it's always a good idea to try out the recipe before sharing. So far, I've been relatively lucky with most of my kitchen creations. I'd like to think I'm a natural born chef, but in reality, my luck probably comes from the many years I spent at home watching my mom and extended family members preparing weeknight and holiday dinners. If I'm being completely honest, I might also credit the many hours of cooking shows (Chopped, No Reservations, Iron Chef, Top Chef, The Best Thing I Ever Ate, etc.) that I've watched, and my willingness to try foods and flavors that I didn't grow up around.


The latest holiday trial I tackled was homemade dinner rolls. Rolls have been one of my favorite staples from the holiday table for as long as I can remember. My mom has an amazing recipe passed down through generations that I will one day try to conquer. Today, however, is not that day. Those rolls must be kneaded by hand, and rise overnight. I'm currently all about quick and easy recipes, and was delighted to come across this recipe that takes only an hour  and ten minutes to complete.

Recipe from Mommy's Kitchen

QUICK HOMEMADE DINNER ROLLS | Yield: 12 servings | Total Time: 1 hr. 10 min.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 C milk
4 Tbsp butter
3/4 C hot water
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4-4 1/2 C flour (divided)
1 T instant yeast (heaping)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Combine milk and butter in a microwave safe container. Microwave for 1 min. 30 sec.

Transfer milk and butter mixture to the mixing bowl of a Kitchen Aid Mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add hot water, sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour. Mix on low speed for 1 min. until combined.

Switch to dough hook attachment. With the mixer on, add yeast, and the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time. Adjust the flour until dough no longer sticks to the sides of the mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 5 min.

After 5 min., cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 min. (The plastic wrap helps to trap the heat.)

Meanwhile, coat the inside of a 9x13 pan with butter. Spray the counter or a cutting board with cooking spray, and transfer the dough from the mixing bowl to your work space. Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut dough into 12 equal sized pieces, shape into rolls, and place in the 9x13 buttered pan.

TIP: CLICK HERE for a great video on shaping dinner rolls.

Transfer the pan to the oven. Let the rolls rise for about 20 min. at 170 degrees. Leaving the pan in the oven, turn the heat up to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 15 min. Bake until the tops are golden brown.

Remove the rolls from the oven, brush with softened butter, and serve warm.


These dinner rolls turned out super yummy, soft and fluffy. They work great as a compliment to a holiday meal, or as a bun for a leftover turkey sandwich. Enjoy!

Do you do a test run before serving holiday dishes to your guests?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...