Blueberry Buttermilk Coffee Cake

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Growing up, I was deprived did not have the opportunity to indulge in fresh blueberries. I am not complaining, I had MANY other amazing breakfasts - Thanks Mom! - but fresh blueberries very rarely, if ever made the breakfast table. I had quite a few of the freeze-dried type that came in the pre-mix muffin packages, but fresh blueberries were scarce. Thankfully, I was introduced to them several years ago by my wonderful hubby, who would eat blueberries for every breakfast if I let him. It has taken me a while to open up to them - I'm still not crazy about eating them plain - but I do love fresh blueberries in a bowl of oatmeal, or in homemade baked goods.

Enter: Blueberry Buttermilk Coffee Cake. Also known as...the best melt-in-your-mouth deliciously moist breakfast cake I have ever made.

Recipe via alexandra's kitchen

BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK COFFEE CAKE | Yield: 6-8 Servings | Prep: 10 min. | Total Time: 50 min. - 1 hr.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp lemon zest - from 1 large lemon
3/4 C sugar
1 egg, room temp
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 C flour + 1/4 C (used to toss with blueberries)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries (or substitute 1 pkg frozen blueberries)
1/2 C buttermilk

1 Tbsp sugar (for topping)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter, lemon zest and 3/4 C sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.

Whisk together 1 3/4 C flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the batter, alternating with the buttermilk.

In a separate bowl, toss blueberries with 1/4 C flour. Fold into the batter mixture.

Grease a 9x9 baking dish, and spread batter in pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake for 40 min., or until tester comes out clean (may take up to 50 minutes). Let cool for 15 min. before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Let me know if you have any suggestions of recipes I should try, fun ideas to do with the kiddo, or a suggested adventure to add to our bucket list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...